Want to keep track of all the best ethical and sustainable beauty brands out there?!
We’ll, you’ve come to the right place!
Over the last few years we’ve kept a running tally of the most sustainable skincare and eco friendly beauty brands that meet our specific criteria (more on that below). Most find their way organized onto product specific lists or onto our best of the best lists (like this best eco friendly makeup list or this best zero waste beauty brand list).
Now we’ve taken to time to to compile all these gems here in one convenient location. One list to rule them all, as a sustainably-minded Sauron might say.
FINDING ECO FRIENDLY & ETHICAL BEAUTY
Before we get to the goods, you may ask – how do we find sustainable cosmetic and personal care brands and companies? Well, we’re glad you asked!
We use our sustainable personal care criteria as a guide.
For new readers, that means we look for brands and products that are:
- all-natural / organic
- palm oil free
- made from ethically-sourced ingredients and
- in recyclable (at the very least) but ideally compostable or reusable packaging.
Yup, it takes us quite a bit of time to find these eco friendly makeup and skin care brands that meet all (or most) of our criteria. And if you’ve read some of our other sustainable ethical beauty brand guides, you’ll notice some of our brand favorites who will undoubtedly be making another appearance here because they’re great
It’s also important to know that we are not a certification body nor are we auditors. We have taken the approach that trusts the brands to tell us the truth and assume the most important metric is progress and awareness and not perfection.
As always, we would love to hear your thoughts and suggestions on other sustainable cosmetic and personal care companies that you think should make the cut.
However, if you know that any of the ethical cliams below are not true, please get in touch with us to let us know.
Oh and just so you know what the symbols below each brand mean – see below.
Navigating Eco Friendly Beauty and Personal Care Brands
Full tick meets our criteria, we are satisfied that the brand is doing what it can to be as thoughtful as possible
Dotted tick meets our criteria, in part (e.g. some vegan options or recyclable/recycled packaging vs zero waste)
Question mark means we just don’t really know or didn’t get a satisfactory (or any) answer from the brand
Does not meet our criteria. This can be for various reasons and we hope that this marking helps to inspire change
More to ‘Ds’ to come… 😀
ETHICAL AND ECO FRIENDLY BEAUTY BRANDS – OUR THOUGHTS
If you’re interested in our thoughts on some of the more tricky issues around ethical and eco friendly personal care companies, have a look at the list of articles below.
Sometimes the issues raised by these questions can be pretty muddy. Let us know your thoughts and if you think we should be looking into any other particular area that needs scrutiny!
- Sustainable and Ethical Beauty: What These Terms Actually Mean
- What is Greenwashing: Differentiating Between Sustainable and Sellable
- Sustainable Palm Oil – Is This A Real Solution
- “Sustainable” Palm Oil: Have We Found Ways To Do Palm Oil Better Yet?
- Cruelty Free Vs Vegan: An Ethical Gap?
- Should You Buy Palm Oil Free? Absolutely, And Here’s Why…
- “Natural” vs “Organic” – What Do They Mean and is There a Difference?
ZERO WASTE RESOURCES
We couldn’t mention vegan and cruelty free resources without plugging our zero waste resources, could we!
If you’re trying to live a zero waste lifestyle (or just generally trying to reduce your footprint), good for you!
We’re slowly putting together a list of great articles and ideas for all things zero waste. Many of the products and brands you’ll find in these resources are also cruelty free and vegan friendly, so it’s really the ultimate in ethical consumerism!
- Best Zero Waste Beauty Brands
- Zero Waste Makeup Options for Glamming Up and Going Green
- Zero Waste Sunscreen Options
- The Perfect Recipe For a Zero Waste Kitchen
- Zero Waste Mascara For Sustainable Bold and Beautiful Lashes
- Zero Waste Razors: S(h)having the Earth One Safety Razor at a Time
- Zero Waste Bathroom: Is That an Oxymoron?
- Building a Zero Waste Kit
- Zero Waste Toilet Paper: Wait…WHAT?!
- Zero Waste Deodorant For Sweet Smelling Sustainable Pits
- Zero Waste Toothpaste: Plastic Free Products to Sink Your Teeth Into
- Zero Waste Floss
- Zero Waste Toothbrush
- Zero Waste Gift Ideas
- Zero Waste Shampoo and Conditioners
- Zero Waste Skin Care
- Zero Waste Swops
- Our Zero Waste Plan: A Simple Beginners Guide to Going Zero Waste
- Zero Waste Versus Recycling: What’s the Difference?
- Zero Waste Travel: Tips and Tricks For Life on the Road
- Life Without Plastic and Waste
OTHER CRUELTY FREE AND VEGAN RESOURCES
Of course, our Master List of Sustainable Cosmetic and Personal Care Brands is just one of the many resources we have on Sustainable Jungle.
For a list of specific vegan and cruelty free articles, guides, product and brand recommendations click on the link below:
- Cruelty Free, Sustainable & Vegan Sunscreen
- Cruelty Free and Vegan Toothpastes
- Natural Skin Care Ingridients: A List of the Most Common & Effective
- Best Natural Deodorants For Men
- Gifts For Vegans From Ethical Beauty Brands
- Vegan and Sustainable Makeup Brands
- Cruelty Free and Vegan Shampoo & Conditioners
- Cruelty Free and Vegan Deodorants
- Cruelty Free and Vegan Moisturizers
- Cruelty Free and Vegan Perfume
- Cruelty Free and Vegan Makeup Brushes
- Vegan and Cruelty Free Concealers